Tips for planning conception:
Eating Right and Exercise
Nutrition of the fetus begins at conception.
If you are thinking about getting pregnant in near future the1st thing you have to take care about is your health.
Maintaining a correct weight and having a nutritional diet will help you get pregnant faster. Also at the time of pregnancy your body will require those extra vitamin minerals, and nutrition for the growth of the baby. So it’s better if you get all your deficiencies corrected before you conceive. There should be balanced diet variety of food is the key to get all the ingredients.
Chronic deficiency of hemoglobin leads to poor vitality and fatigue. Essential ingredients required in preventing anemia are:-
- Folic acid.
- Vitamin C.
- Trace elements-zinc, chromium, selenium.
- The modern diet is deficient in folic acid because it is destroyed in cooking. Therefore, fresh green raw vegetables will be desirable-e.g.- lettuce and sprouted beans. In addition folic acid supplementation is also necessary.
- Vitamin B12 is found in non-vegetarian diet. Lot of people in India are vegetarians, hence require supplementation.
- Vitamin C promotes iron absorption. Citrus Fruits and Amla are good sources,
It’s advisable to develop a habit of regular exercise which can be continued during pregnancy also (under your obstetrician’s guidance). This will help in developing stamina and strength of the body muscles and will eventually help in a normal and uncomplicated delivery.
Cut out on Toxins:
Alcohol, smoking and other substance abuse may lead to infertility and may have a damaging effect on the featus. These toxins also have relation with increased risk of abortion, therefore if you are planning to conceive, cut down on these unhealthy habits.
Stop all contraceptive measures you have been using:
Stop any hormonal birth control measures (birth control pills or Depo-Provera injections etc.) you have been using, a few months before you are planning to conceive. Also get removed any Intra uterine Device placed for contraception. It may take a few cycles for your body to resume ovulation, which is key to conception. Also the injectable progesterone may have its effect till 9 months. So keeping the above point in mind, stop the injection dose as per your conception planning.
The important point to keep note of here is that you may get pregnant any time after stopping the pill or other measures.
Track you menstrual cycle
It is of importance for you to keep track of your cycle at this point. There are 3 reasons for this:
- You will get to know what is the best time for intercourse in order to conceive (you can use our conception calculator for the same)
- If you remember 1st day of your menstrual period, then only you will be able to track the missed cycle(which is the 1st sign of pregnancy)
- Your obstetrician will be able to calculate your expected date of delivery and be able to track growth of the featus more accurately if the same is know.
Have frequent intercourse
Have intercourse frequently, especially when nearing ovulation (the process of release of egg), to know the most probable dates of ovulation you may use our conception calculator. You must take care of the following things for conception:
- Start having intercourse at least 3 times a week as soon as your periods end.
- The sperm lasts for 2 to 3 days, but the egg remains only for 12 to 24 hours after it is released. Therefore starting around 10th day increase the frequency to every other day.
- Lie down on your back after an intercourse. This will help the sperm to swim towards your egg
- Have intercourse before bed. This will ensure you stay on your back afterwards.
Get yourself tested
If you have missed your period, get the urine pregnancy test done around one week after the due date of your periods. If the test results are positive you should see a doctor and make sure you follow a healthy eating, drinking and other habits.
If the test comes negative you may repeat urine test after a few days, with 1st morning sample of urine or go for blood test for HCG. In case this also comes negative you may take online consultation/opinion from our gynecologist.
Always worrying and thinking about having a baby kills your overall happiness and is not conducive for conception. Just relax and prepare your body for all round health. Take time out from your busy schedule for each other and spend some good time together.